Bacon Bleu Spinach Salad with Pheasant (wild bird or chicken), Apple and Sautéed Pecans & Peppers
Bacon Bleu Spinach Salad with Pheasant (wild bird or chicken), Apple and Sauteed Pecans & Peppers Recipe
Prep & cook time: 30 mins. (4 servings)
YOUR LOCAL FRESH SHOPPING LIST:
- 5-6 boneless skinless Pheasant or Game Bird Breasts (or 3-4 Chicken Breasts)
- 3 strips Bacon (or good bacon bits)
- 1/2 Colored Pepper, diced
- 1/2 c. Pecans
- 1/2 Packet (about 2 T.) Spitfire Gourmet Zesty Sweet Tang
- 2 T. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 3 T. Red Wine Vinegar
- 20 oz. Spinach
- 3 Scallions, chopped (use part of the greens, too)
- 1 Apple
- 4 oz. crumbled Bleu Cheese (grated sharp cheddar works, too)
- An Awesome Crusty Bread (if desired)
- Salt and Pepper Pheasant or Game Bird Breasts (or 3-4 Chicken Breasts) grill or bake (400° for approximately 20 min.) and slice.
- Cut Bacon into bite-sized pieces, and cook in sauce pan for 2-3 minutes. Drain all but about 1 tsp. of the fat, and add diced Pepper and the Pecans to the pan. Saute 2-3 mins more.Gourmet Tip: Scissors work great for cutting bacon.
- Mix 1/2 packet Spitfire Gourmet Zesty Sweet Tang into the pan, along with the EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar.
- Toss this warm dressing with the Pheasant, Game Bird or Chicken Breasts, Spinach, chopped Scallions, thin-sliced Apple and crumbled Blue Cheese.
- Serve with an awesome Bread.
This recipe is excellent with Steak, too.
If you’re not a Bleu Cheese fan, use grated Sharp Cheddar.
Try an Asian-inspired salad: Add 1 tsp. Sesame Oil, substitute Rice Vinegar, crumbled Feta Cheese, and Mandarins Oranges.
Be gourmet by trying different Vinegars, flavor-infused Oils, Fruits & Cheeses for fun new flavor.